This easy salad is topped with sweet apples, crunchy walnuts, and tossed with a flavorful balsamic dressing. It's perfect for holiday gatherings!
Make it Ahead:You can prepare this dressing up to a week in advance, if you’re preparing for a big holiday meal. I use store-bought mixed green lettuces so I can avoid chopping the greens. Then all you have to do is chop an apple and some onion shortly before assembling and serving!
PREP TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
CALORIES 201 kcal
AUTHOR Megan Gilmore www.detoxinista.com
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I would cut this in half or omit entirely)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (see note)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- pinch of salt
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 medium granny smith apple , chopped
- 1/4 red onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts , roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup feta , crumbled (optional)
- To prepare the dressing, use a whisk to combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, and salt. Dressing can be stored in a quart jar or other air tight container for a week or more and "tweeked" or added to as needed..
- To assemble the salad, fill a large bowl with the mixed greens, then top them with the apple, onion, walnuts, and feta, if using.
- Just before serving, generously drizzle some of the dressing over the salad and toss well so that everything gets evenly coated. Save the rest of the dressing for your next salad.
I like to use a balsamic vinegar that has been aged for at least 3 years for best flavor. (It's a little more expensive than the cheapest balsamic options at the grocery store.) If you use one that hasn't been aged as long, you might want to add a little more sweetener to balance out the acidity.
Salads are easy to customize to your taste, so feel free to get creative with what you love!
- Add or substitute almonds or sunflower seeds
- Add or substitute crazens or other dried fruit like dried cherries or chopped dried apricot
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 110mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 0.7mg
Per serving: Calories: 201, Fat: 17g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 3gRecipe Notes: