Makes one 2-pound loaf
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup honey (I heat the water in the microwave for 1 minute then stir in the honey until fully dissolved)
1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour (1/2 unbleached white 1/2 wheat)
1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/2 teaspoons rapid or instant yeast
1 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
1 cup walnuts +1 cup crazens
Other optional add ins:
1/3 cup crushed walnuts
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons flaxseed
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
*Monitor dough for proper moisture level - dough should be tacky like scotch tape. If too dry add small amount of water. If too wet add small amount of flour.
Bread Machine Only
- Add all ingredients to bread machine in the manufacturer’s recommended order. Use the normal "white bread" setting for a 2-pound loaf. Takes about 3.5 hours for completion - I leave it on "warm
- " afer it is done to dry the bread a bit more and make it slightly "denser"
- Once baked, cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Dough to Oven Version
- If you are going to toast the add-ins, do that first. (See optional step above.)
- Add all ingredients except topping to bread machine in the manufacturer’s recommended order and run the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, cover a large baking sheet with cooking spray or a Silpat mat. Alternatively, mist two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Using lightly floured hands, divide dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves, placing on baking sheet or in prepared pans.
- If desired, sprinkle topping over both loaves.
- Cover and allow dough to rise for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Once baked, cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.