How are you feeling? Yesterday when I woke up and saw the news of what had been going on in our nation's capitol, and then saw more and more pictures and reports, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. I began binge eating my leftover holiday m&m's, until I remembered that I have better coping skills than that-lol! So I sealed up the candy bag and sat to meditate for a bit. Whew-much better! I ended up writing a post for Instagram (@maureen.marhayla) about ways to cope with overwhelm, and thought I'd share it here too.
Strategies For Coping When You Are Feeling Overwhelmed
Here are some things to try if you are feeling overwhelmed:
- Take three deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth.
- Drink some water.
- Hold a calming stone, such as rose quartz (my favorite) or yellow onyx (my cat, Pachakitty's favorite).
- Light blanket—Visualize yourself wrapped up in the softest, comfiest blanket you can imagine. It is just the right weight to make you feel secure, just the right temperature to make you feel cozy. Imagine that this blanket is infused with light, and this light saturates your body, all the way down to your cells. Bask in the comfort of this blanket of light for as long as you need.
- Move the excess energy out of your body. Ways to do this include:
- Blow the excess energy out with a long, whistling exhale
- Move your body—walk, dance, run, jump, yoga, tai chi
- Talk with a trusted friend
- Create art
- Spend time outside in nature
- Wash it off—take a bath, shower, or wash your hands
- Visualize the excess energy flowing down your body and draining out of your feet
- Place your hand on your heart chakra, in the center of your chest, and whisper “peace”
Once you have released some of the intensity of the overwhelming feelings, you will be better able to pay attention to what your emotions are wanting you to know. And since your emotions are messages from your soul to guide you on your path, being able to receive their messages is a powerful asset in leading your best life.