TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD: 8 servings.
- 3 cups sliced peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups sliced washed but unpeeled Granny Smith or other tart apples (about 2 large)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and half of the apples (ending with apple).
2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over apples. Dot with half of the butter. Repeat layers.
3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Baste with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender.